jeudi 26 avril 2007

Absolutely bananas.




Last night, after a talk by David Sedaris, after waiting forty-five minutes to have our books signed by him, when we were only eighth in line. By the way, he is hysterically funny.

Me: Okay, I was totally joking when I said that he was drawing in people's books, but he totally was. What did he draw in your book?

Friend: It's a Christmas tree. It would have been appropriate for his Holidays on Ice book, but not this one!

Me: OH, you have the Christmas tree on a barstool! You know, the one in the story he told!

Friend: Oh, do you think it's because I told him I write treatments for music videos and told him about Fergie, and now he thinks that the Christmas tree on a barstool from his white trash story is appropriate for me?

Me: Don't forget the dirty girl scout. That is why it took us 45 minutes to get our books signed. Because he was doodling in them.

Friend: What did he draw in yours?

Me: He didn't draw anything.. He wrote, "We're all very proud of you."

Friend: Is that because you told him you're a grad student here?

Me
: It sounds like it's loaded with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I wouldn't put it past him.



******

Anyways, maybe you're not here for that. Maybe you're here to find out what I made for dessert at my last - well, first of my last two - dinner parties! Now, I hate bananas. (B-A-N-A-N-A-S - sorry, now that song is stuck in my head.) I previously only liked bananas when they're set on fire (ie, en flambé), or when there were copious amounts of ice cream served atop. But then, I ran into these two recipes, and I knew I had to make them. Even with my banana hatred and all.



The first was a roasted banana ice cream, recipe by David Lebovitz. Ooh, yes. Roasted bananas. Bananas tossed with brown sugar and butter and roasted in the oven until brown and caramely. Plus, this recipe was also easy, and didn't use eggs (many ice cream recipes use too many eggs for me. I prefer to not know how high in cholesterol my desserts are. I like to live in blissful ignorance).


The tart, before I took it out of the pan. I "decorated" with the leftover puff pastry scraps because I didn't know what else to do with them.

But then, even easier, if that's possible, is this banana maple tarte tatin. Really, this dessert is so ludicrously easy to make it almost seems like a joke. Sliced-up bananas arranged in a pool of melted butter, vanilla, and maple syrup, a round of puff pastry placed atop, and placed in the oven to bake. That's it. There's no fussing. And it comes out marvelously.

And even better with a scoop of roasted banana ice cream on top, the slightly burnt-caramel taste of the ice cream cutting down on the what would otherwise be massive sweetness overload.

Guess what? Turns out I do like bananas (cooked, with lots of sugar) after all.

Updated 7 May 2007:
This is also an entry for LiveStrong day - members of my family, unfortunately, have had bouts with different kinds of cancer. It's horrible, and it's horrible that sometimes, it can't be cured. Had I the patience for scientific research, it's probably something that I'd really want to work on, but I will leave that kind of stuff for the people with brains.




Technorati Tags: