mardi 3 juillet 2007

The first sorbet of the season.




I'm not really an ice cream person - I can have a taste or two, but in the end, it sort of bores me. Shocking, I know. I think it's also in part because I'm a slow eater, and when you're a slow eater, iced treats melt. I know some people like that ice cream soup, but I can't stand it at all.

However, this doesn't stop me from wanting to make all sorts of ice creams and sorbets. There's something oddly satisfying about it, from preparing the custard/sorbet base to watching it whirl around in the ice cream machine, miraculously producing ... well, ice cream. Or sorbet.

I know I made a roasted banana ice cream a couple of months back, but my ice cream maker had gone back into hibernation until recently. With all the plethora of summer fruits, I always end up buying way too much and they always go mushy before I can get around to eating them.

Hence, the ice cream maker has come out again, so that I can take full advantage of these softened fruits and not let anything go to waste.

First up is a cantaloupe sorbet, spiked with a little lime juice to keep it from being overly sweet. And it was simple as pie - I took the flesh from a large cantaloupe and pureed it in the blender, adding in the juice of one lime. A simple syrup was made by combining half a cup of water and half a cup of sugar. All of this was mixed together and set in the fridge to chill, then churned in the ice cream maker.

It captures the aroma of fresh cantaloupe perfectly, with a wee bit of tartness to keep it interesting. And what's not to like about that?

Guess what I'm bringing to my friend's Fourth of July BBQ tomorrow?

(This is also being submitted for Meeta's Monthly Mingle: Ice cream.)