lundi 2 avril 2007

Oh my, it's good to be home again.



While I am one voracious meat eater, of late, I've been eschewing those lovely red bloody proteins in favour of fish. It started in Mexico, where everywhere we ate, from fancier restaurants to simpler shacks on the beach, had awesome fish. Plus, when it's as hot as it was there, I have no desire to eat meat. And the trend continued for whatever reason when I went on to Boston. Those cows I'd otherwise be consuming must be grateful.

Another dining trend that took place was the near absence of fruits and vegetables from my diet, unless they were blended into alcoholic drinks (see: pina coladas). This was a sad truth I realised when I had lunch with a friend today after getting back (yes, I went straight to school after my 6am EDT flight landed at 9:30am PDT), and she had half a melon sliced up as part of her meal.

Fruit? Vegetables? What are those?

Such is the sad state of my diet when I travel. Everything goes to hell.

I did pick up some oranges at the market today when I stopped by to refill my fridge. But, I was still in the mood for more fish. Fish! Why all the fish lately, I don't even know. And what I wanted was fish that was soft and tender, almost buttery in texture. I'd had fish like that when in Boston, and I wanted it again. I came up with the perfect solution in oven-steamed fish - a lovely slab of cod became transformed into a dish so fork-tender and delicious - well, perhaps I won't be returning to meat anytime soon.

To accompany the fish, I made mujadara, which served as a nice accompaniment, and I'd been wanting to make it since I read the recipe. Perhaps there were no vegetables in this meal (still), but it was still super-healthy. And the onions have got to count for something, right?

Pictures of my trip, from the heat and humidity of Cancun to the chill and dryness of Boston, will come at some point in the future. I am just too wiped out to deal with all of that right now. (Also, I am trying really really really hard not to puke while watching the idiotic goings-on the newest gagfest: The Bachelor: Officer and a Gentleman. Oh my gosh. This is so painful. $20 bucks he keeps only the blondes, the ones from the South and Midwest, and the ones under 25. I normally don't watch this show, but I couldn't find my remote after Dancing With the Stars ended. I am going to find it now. I cannot tolerate anymore inane comments or seeing him grab another girl's ass. By the way, do you know why a hot 30-year-old Navy doctor is still single? Because he is undoubtedly either a) boring, b) stupid, c) an asshole, or d) all of the above.)

By the way, I am so excited to sleep in my own bed tonight.

******

Oven-steamed fish


The best part about making this fish? Your kitchen doesn't end up stinking like cooked fish, which it often does when you cook fish in other ways, such as pan-searing it or poaching it.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on a piece of tin foil (approximately 12 inches by 12 inches). Place the fish fillet (I used black-skinned cod; it was approximately 7 ounces in weight, I think) on the foil, season with salt and pepper, and pour a little more olive oil over the fish. Wrap the fish in foil, forming an envelope. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 15-18 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish. Be careful removing the fish from the foil envelope - the fish will have emitted some juices that have the potential to scald.