vendredi 16 février 2007

Adding a bit of preppiness to your lunchbox.



We're in our 6th week of classes, which means that in a little over a month, I'll be on the beaches of Mexico. You have no idea how excited that makes me. Especially because it'll also mean that I'll have finished an IRB amendment, gotten data analysed and written up for a conference, and will have otherwise survived what has been the most hectic quarter of my academic career.

I just can't wait. Although I don't know if it'll get better or worse from here, I can't really tell.

Anyways, this week for lunch? Well, I had some leftover smoked salmon (no, I don't know why I had any leftover, usually I wolf it down. But I did), and I needed to use it up. For whatever reason, mixing it in with pasta sounded rather appetizing to me - not to mention, I need the carbs during the school day. I scrounged around on the internet for recipes, and eventually ended up with this amalgam that I pieced together from various sources. It's not heavy at all, and even has some vegetables thrown in there! I know, how did those green things find themselves in my lunchbox? It's a miracle!

Plus, it's a rather attractive dish. And you know, looks count, like so much.

******
Fusilli with smoked salmon and peas
Serves... well, 2 for dinner, plus enough leftover for about 3 lunches

1 package fusilli pasta
1.5 cup frozen peas
1 T. butter
1 small onion, diced
7 oz smoked salmon, chopped into whatever size you want
3/4 c. half-and-half
About 1 c. grated parmesan
Salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to directions. In the last two minutes of cooking the pasta, throw the peas in there to thaw them out. When done, drain the pasta and peas.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan (I used a wok). Cook the onion until wilted and translucent. Add the smoked salmon, and cook until it just becomes opaque. Add the half-and-half and warm it up. In the same pan (hence, why I used a large one), add your pasta and toss to combine all the ingredients, adding the grated cheese whilst tossing. You'll start out with a large pool of half-and-half at the bottom of your pan, which will eventually disappear. Where did it go? My guess? INTO the pasta. Yum. It's not unhealthy, what are you talking about?

Season with salt and flavour with pepper to taste.

(Can you tell I made this recipe up?)