lundi 5 juin 2006

All things baby-sized are much cuter.



I saw these baby artichokes at the farmers' market a couple of weeks ago, and they were so adorable that I couldn't pass them up. I love me a good artichoke, but it's often too much work and I am lazy, so I don't buy them. But these ones were so cute, they practically screamed my name. I am eminently suggestible when it comes to cuteness.

Then I brought them home and realised that I had no idea how to prepare them. This is what happens to me a lot at the farmers' market. But therein lies the power of Google, and I ended up adapting a version of this recipe, with much satisfaction. It was very artichoke-y, which was precisely what I was looking for. It was like having a whole decadent dish of artichoke hearts. Mmm.



In terms of eating local - I'm not consciously trying to do it, for I do supplement my meals with fast food crap and other storebought items which would be a pain to make myself (for instance - tofu? Who wants to make that when you can easily buy it? And I don't have an ice cream maker - YET - so that needs to be bought as well) or things that I actually like from other countries, like chocolate, cheese, and wine (the holy trifecta of food happiness). But I do find that buying the majority of my produce at the farmers' market is dreadfully satisfying. In addition to knowing that you're getting the freshest produce available, and that generally your produce is organic (which, quite honestly, I don't care that much about, but everyone else seems to), I do like the idea of helping out small, (usually) local businesses. Or in this case, farms. And I like the more social aspect of the farmers' market. Oh, this is starting to sound an awful lot like that qualitative paper I wrote on farmers' markets.

Unfortunately, the season for baby artichokes, I believe, has passed. You can probably get frozen ones at the supermarket, but it just isn't the same. This is the problem with buying only what's at the farmers' market - you're woefully dependent upon the seasons, as they dictate what you eat. But it's not a bad thing - for cherries and tomatoes are just starting to come into season. And my love for good tomatoes remains (in large part) unsurpassed.