vendredi 30 décembre 2005

Sometimes, nutella = happiness.



One of the best things about visiting my cousin's new baby (who is now a month old, but still all she does is sleep. I know this is to be expected, but I find it rather boring still. I'm waiting until she turns a year old and can start walking and talking. Then the fun will really begin) is that I get to make cupcakes to bring to the parents, who just love love love cupcakes. I love cupcakes too, but it is very hard to validate making a dozen just for myself, because then I'd eat them ALL and that would not be good for whatever quasi-diet I am currently on. But! If I make cupcakes before visiting them, I can have like three or four for myself and give them the rest, and then I don't feel guilty about wasting food.

Since Wednesday we decided to go sushi-eating and shopping, I made cupcakes to bring down to the new parents (The baby was good and slept for nearly the entire time). This Donna Hay recipe had been tempting me for awhile as it was so easy - self-frosting cupcakes! You make the regular cupcake batter, then swirl in about a teaspoon and a half of the frosting, which in this case was utterly addictive nutella. You wouldn't think that it'd work, but due to the different consistencies between batter and "frosting", while the frosting gets baked into the cupcake, it simulataneously remains distinct from the batter.

Plus, transportation is super-easy as you don't have to worry about frosting sticking to the top of your container and getting smudged.

By the way, I am in love with Donna Hay right now - the photographs in her cookbooks are just so pretty, but international subscriptions to her magazine are quite prohibitive in terms of cost. If someone from Australia wants to send me issues (which I bet would still be cheaper than my subscribing to the magazine), I would be forever indebted. And obviously, I'd do something nice in return. I don't know what, but something.