mercredi 27 juillet 2005

..And all I got were shoes.



I know, I promised pictures of food - oh, but what shoes! They are so cute, and miraculously comfortable! (At least they are walking around my apartment. I have not yet gone outside with them because hello, I almost exclusively wear flip flops unless it is too cold or I have a reason to dress up, ie, go on a date, but HAH there are no guys here and at this point, I'd probably still wear flip flops) And I swear, I do not have a pair of bronze heels yet. I have black, pink, more black, gold, pink and green, pink and orange, more gold, blue, amongst many others. But I didn't have bronze. Until now.

(Gosh, I look like I have cankles in that picture. But I just wanted y'all to see how pretty the shoes were. It's the angle from which I was taking the picture, so ignore the fact the my legs look like they belong to a hippo. That, and the fact that, regretfully, I haven't had time to get a pedicure since I was in LA. At least I'm nice and tan. I have that down pat.)

Onto food..



One of the best things about Montréal is that they have chains that only sell french fries. Only french fries! Good quality french fries reportedly fried in horse fat. I mean, if it didn't get so cold up there during the winter, I would move to that city. FRENCH FRIES. French fries with a dipping sauce - I chose aioli up there in the picture. It's my kind of town.



We went out for some more traditional French meals, because imagine my horror when I found out that my travelling companions had never had French food before. NEVER. What has this world come to? The first night, we went to L'Express, which served up good hearty bistro fare. I got the confit de canard (given a choice, I always order duck) on a salad. The greens were overdressed and there were too many of them (it is like hell getting me to eat vegetables), but the duck itself was very good, the skin nicely crispy with lots of tender meat.



The next night, we went to Au Pied de Cochon, which is one of the more well-known restaurants in Montréal, serving more traditional quebecois food. They had some magnificent seafood towers, which I drooled over, but their mainstay is meat, and more specifically, meat which comes from a pig. But that dish pictured above, that's APdC's rendition of poutine. Poutine is a traditional French-Canadian dish that features french fries, cheese curds, and gravy. APdC one-upped this by adding a lobe of foie gras on top. It sounds gross, and perhaps a bit like a heart attack on a plate, but ohmygosh it was simply divine.

The third night, they were tired of French food, so we went to a scene-y place that served passable Italian (not really worthy of pictures) and had hot blonde rexie waitresses. No hot waiters though. Boo. I'd have preferred more confit de canard.

Did I mention there was no quality vodka in any of the bars we went to? NOTHING. All they had was some ghetto stuff called polar ice, or north pole, or something along those lines. AND they used a little spout to make sure they couldn't overpour. That was mean and stupid and stingy.

That little rant over..



Montréalers (is this the word for them?), like New Yorkers, are convinced that their bagels are the best in the world. St-Viateur Bagel Shop, near where we stayed, is one of the city's two most well-known bagel manufacturers. They churn them out constantly, so you're practically always promised a warm sesame bagel (there are other flavours too, but I like sesame), slightly toasty on top, nice and steamy inside. They're good indeed, but they do not use salt, which leaves them a little too sweet in my opinion. I did like the texture and the density though, and it's too bad I scarfed down my bagel before I could take a picture of it.




These are all taken at the Marché Jean-Talon, located in Little Italy. I love open-air markets, and I miss the one I used to go to all the time in Paris. More cities, really, should have permanent open-air markets. Thankfully, I'm living right next to one when I move home, but it's still not the same. The produce there isn't the hottest. If I lived in Montréal, I'd go to this market all the time.

Oh, and the dog. It wasn't for sale, obviously, but look at how cute it is!! I want one like half that size.

I might have brought some Ranier cherries back into the US, so shhh. They're not in the markets here yet and I love them so.



No, not food, but hey look! I remembered that I had all sorts of fun colour functions on my camera!



And on the way back, we of course had to stop by McDonald's (actually, the same one at which we stopped on our drive up) for another Happy Meal. I got a friend for the red devil squirrel, but he was ugly (not to mention there'd then be way too much crap hanging from the rearview mirror) so we took him down after this picture.

And that's it! I wish we had good french fry chains in the US. Then again, I'd probably be so fat I couldn't walk if that were indeed the case.