mercredi 9 mars 2005

Wedding bells are a-ringin'.

Apparently, the best thing about getting a PhD in education is - guess what - I WILL BE ABLE TO EASILY FIND MYSELF A RICH HUSBAND.

You heard that right.

How do I know this? Because this friend - okay, Nick, which if you've read this site, or more specificially, my old site, for any length of time. Nick who's in love with me, and has been for the past 7 years, and we drunkenly hoooked up for four of those seven years, but note that I was drunk when it happened. Never sober. And that should be a sign to all of you out there - if you're only attracted to someone when drunk, it's not necessarily a good thing. And we really only steadily hooked up for two years - the last two years, it was like once every six months because I was in a series of dysfunctional relationships with other people. And he had a girlfriend. If he thinks that I'd ever date him now, seeing that he cheated on his girlfriend, well, he has another thing coming. Anyway, you'd think that having someone so in love with you would be pleasant and fun, but I've come to realise that it's only good when you're in love with them too, or at least don't think that they've become annoying as all hell. He's now a consultant in New York, which has definitely changed him for the worse. While he's always been a big talker, he's gotten to the point where he's definitely too big for his britches, and sometimes obnoxiously so.

So while Nick was in town over the weekend, we went to brunch, and caught up on stuff since I haven't seen him in about six months or so because even though he has a girlfriend, it doesn't stop him from trying to get me to date him (he would also try this when I was dating fuckhead. No shame, none. And the thing is, he's not even suave enough to pull it off; rather, he just comes off as pathetic. Gosh, why am I friends with him again?). Of course, he asked what I was going to do next year. Upon finding out that I plan to pursue graduate studies in education, he said, and I kid you not, what I'm sure he thought was a compliment but was really grossly offensive: "You'll be in the perfect situation to get married."

Pardon?

To further expound on what would turn out to be a very misogynistic theory, he explained that rich guys, guys in banking and consulting (and who he fancies himself to be) do want to marry girls who work, but they don't want these girls competing with them in their field. Therefore, my getting a PhD in educational psychology, or whatever the program is called, I never know, is good for the Mrs.-degree-seeking resumé, as it will show that I'm very highly educated, but I won't be a threat to the male ego because I will be working in a completely non-business-oriented field.

I'm not describing it in its full offensiveness, because it would all I could do to keep myself from sitting there gaping at him, as he dug himself deeper and deeper into this hole, whereby he ascribed to females the age-old stereotype that women should be subservient, at least mentally, to the male, and that they should not compete on the same level because it would threaten the male and heavens forbid we do that. Huh, he was an econ major at this lovely Cambridge intitution, maybe Larry Summers really did get to him somehow.

Of course, after he realised that I was deeply offended at all of this, namely when I said, "well, perhaps I don't want to get married to such a jackass who can't handle female competition," he then backtracked, saying that this wasn't his personal belief but rather that this is what a certain small group of men thought. Men he obviously identifies with. Ergh. He's going to be back in town tomorrow, and seriously, if he brings this up again he might not walk away this time physically unscathed.